Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sweet compromise for Valentine's Day


I'm trying hard not to be a killjoy, but I can't help getting a little uptight when a sugar-filled holiday comes around. At Halloween, my boys get three buckets of candy just from trick-or-treating in our small neighborhood. They usually get to eat it at the rate of one piece a day, if that. It lasts them at least six months. 

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to healthy teeth and good eating habits. I inherited good genes when it comes to strong teeth. My husband, unfortunately, did not. Both of our families have histories of high cholesterol and heart disease. Since I do most of the cooking in my family, it falls to me to feed everyone healthy fare. Every sugar-laced holiday is in direct opposition to my goal. 

This Valentine's Day, to salve my mommy-guilt about feeding my kids junk, I'm giving them a new toothbrush to go with the candy. That's a good compromise, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment